M50447 was built by the Birmingham Carriage and Wagon Co in 1957 as part of Lot no 30293. As a part of a London Midland three-car set it was fitted with a varnished wood interior (Eastern sets had Formica) and was one of those used to eliminate steam on duties in the Crewe area. Equipped with two Leyland 680 engines it is mechanically identical to other Class 104s in the collection. The body has a similar profile to the Mark 1 coach and utilises a similar method of construction.
M50447 was delivered to the London Midland Region in September 1957 and was part of a set with M59155 (a centre trailer) and M50499 (a Driving Motor Composite) originally allocated to 5B (Crewe South). By 1959 it was at 5D (Stoke) and moved on to 16C (Derby) by 1967. Later in its life it moved on to 9L (Buxton), by this time numbered 53447 to avoid confusion with new locomotives being built in the 50XXX series. It was withdrawn in 1993.